A test on US geography
Amethyst
2005-11-22 20:09:27 UTC
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.

Enjoy

http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Michael Benveniste
2005-11-22 21:21:48 UTC
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help.
Not a problem for me. For some sort of elementary school gig, I
had to learn the "Fifty Nifty United States" song. I've been
able to rattle them off in alphabetical order ever since.

I shudder to think how much of my limited brain power is wasted
on stuff like this.
--
Michael Benveniste -- mhb-***@clearether.com
neils
2005-11-22 23:56:45 UTC
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
Daniel Silevitch
2005-11-23 00:06:16 UTC
Post by neils
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
50 states, plus a bunch of other territory which comes under a variety
of descriptions.

-dms
Aaron Denney
2005-11-23 01:54:55 UTC
Post by Daniel Silevitch
Post by neils
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
50 states, plus a bunch of other territory which comes under a variety
of descriptions.
Dammit, we're getting cross-timeline leakage again. I thought we had
that bug fixed ages ago!
--
Aaron Denney
-><-
Daniel Silevitch
2005-11-23 02:06:51 UTC
Post by Aaron Denney
Post by Daniel Silevitch
Post by neils
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
50 states, plus a bunch of other territory which comes under a variety
of descriptions.
Dammit, we're getting cross-timeline leakage again. I thought we had
that bug fixed ages ago!
I'm posting from FranzFerdinand14/Armstrong69. You?

-dms
Keith F. Lynch
2005-11-23 02:51:44 UTC
Post by Daniel Silevitch
Post by Aaron Denney
Dammit, we're getting cross-timeline leakage again. I thought we
had that bug fixed ages ago!
ObSF: John Barnes' _Finity_ and Robert J. Sawyer's _Hominids_/
_Humans_/_Hybrids_ trilogy both start with the premise that advanced
IT results in leakage between timelines. In F.M. Busby's _All These
Earths_, FTL travel has this effect. Can anyone think of any other
such novels? Ones in which timeline leakage is an unexpected and
unwanted side effect of another technology?
Post by Daniel Silevitch
I'm posting from FranzFerdinand14/Armstrong69. You?
Same here. WWI began when the Austro-Hungarian Empire's Archduke
Franz Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914, and WWII began when the
Austro-Hungary-France-British-Russian Empire's Archduke Fritz
Armstrong was assasinated in 1969. So I guess there's no leakage
after all. All hail his universal majesty Bismark VII!
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Wim Lewis
2005-11-23 04:56:09 UTC
Post by Keith F. Lynch
ObSF: John Barnes' _Finity_ and Robert J. Sawyer's _Hominids_/
_Humans_/_Hybrids_ trilogy both start with the premise that advanced
IT results in leakage between timelines.
(and asyouknowbob it's been a running joke on Usenet for a while
before that...)
Post by Keith F. Lynch
In F.M. Busby's _All These
Earths_, FTL travel has this effect. Can anyone think of any other
such novels? Ones in which timeline leakage is an unexpected and
unwanted side effect of another technology?
_The Infinitive of Go_ by John Brunner. Niven's Svetz stories, sort
of.

I suppose there are plenty of stories where cross-time travel is
discovered by accident (say, _Twistor_), but that's not quite the
same thing.

(By the way, didn't you mean to write "Former Yugoslav Republic of Hungary"?)
Wim Lewis <***@hhhh.org>, Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1
Dorothy J Heydt
2005-11-23 00:38:04 UTC
Post by neils
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
50 states, the Territory of Puerto Rico, and some bases here and
there....

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
***@kithrup.com
Daniel Silevitch
2005-11-23 00:57:53 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by neils
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
50 states, the Territory of Puerto Rico, and some bases here and
there....
And DC, the Virgin Islands, a bunch of protectorate islands in the
Pacific, and probably some small random odds and ends that I'm
forgetting.

-dms
Keith Thompson
2005-11-23 02:15:26 UTC
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Post by neils
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Lottery_Results.shtml
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates? This is
what we are taught here but it could easily be wrong.
50 states, the Territory of Puerto Rico, and some bases here and
there....
Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth, not a Territory. The name Commonwealth
isn't necessarily meaningful (a couple of states also call themselves
Commonwealths). I'm not sure of all the details, but residents of
Puerto Rico are U.S. citizens, though they're not allowed to vote in
Presidential elections and they have no voting representation in
Congress. There's a good chance they could be granted either full
statehood or independence if a majority of the populuation decided
they wanted it.

The District of Columbia (entirely occupied by Washington, D.C.)
isn't a state either. Citizens there can vote in Presidential
elections (it took a Constitutional amendment in 1961 to enable this),
but they have no voting representation in Congress (which meets in
their city). Their automobile license plates have the ironic motto
"Taxation Without Representation", a slogan used by the American
rebels during the Revolution.

There are a number of other dependent areas (American Samoa, Guam,
Midway, etc.); you can find a (presumably complete) list at
<http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/us.html>.
Keith F. Lynch
2005-11-23 02:38:42 UTC
Post by Keith Thompson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates?
Not that I recall. Could you name all of them? (I can name all the
states of Australia, so why shouldn't an Australian be able to name
all the states of the US?)
Post by Keith Thompson
Post by Dorothy J Heydt
50 states, the Territory of Puerto Rico, and some bases here and
there....
Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth, not a Territory. The name
Commonwealth isn't necessarily meaningful (a couple of states also
call themselves Commonwealths).
Four states: Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts.
I live in one of them, and have been to the other three. And to
Puerto Rico. And to Australia.
Post by Keith Thompson
I'm not sure of all the details, but residents of Puerto Rico are
U.S. citizens, though they're not allowed to vote in Presidential
elections and they have no voting representation in Congress.
There's a good chance they could be granted either full statehood or
independence if a majority of the populuation decided they wanted it.
Every few years they have an election, in which the Puerto Ricans get
to vote whether to become a state, become independent, or continue
as they are. One big advantage to the way they are is that they're
exempt from the federal income tax. I'd bet the majority of people
in quite a few states would willingly give up the right to vote in
federal elections in return for exemption from that tax, if they were
given that as a choice.
Post by Keith Thompson
The District of Columbia (entirely occupied by Washington, D.C.)
isn't a state either.
Right. If I recall correctly, Australia also has its capital in a
district that isn't part of a state.

The District of Columbia was originally a square ten miles (16 km) on
a side, taken from Virginia and Maryland, but the part that was cut
out of Virginia was eventually returned to Virginia. Now it's a
square with a big bite taken out of it.

There's still a cornerstone at what used to be the corner of DC in
Virginia. I've walked to it from my apartment.
Post by Keith Thompson
There are a number of other dependent areas (American Samoa, Guam,
Midway, etc.);
Right. Those I haven't been to. Nor have I been to the large chunk
of Antarctica claimed by the US. But I have been to one of the US's
more unusual possessions, on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Daniel Silevitch
2005-11-23 02:48:39 UTC
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Right. Those I haven't been to. Nor have I been to the large chunk
of Antarctica claimed by the US. But I have been to one of the US's
more unusual possessions, on Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
The US doesn't claim any land in Antartica. In fact, the US doesn't
recognize anybody's claim to land in Antartica. That was one factor in
setting up the base at the pole; most of the land claims are wedges
that converge at the pole. Amundsen-Scott Base thus infringes on just
about all of the competing claims.[1]

And we lease Gitmo from the Cubans, and don't actually own it.

-dms

[1] Googling to confirm this, I discovered on the CIA factbook page,
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ay.html , that
Antartica does have it's own internet country code, .aq. More to the
point, at the bottom of the article, we have:

"Antarctic Treaty freezes claims (see Antarctic Treaty Summary in
Government type entry); Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, NZ, Norway,
and UK claim land and maritime sectors (some overlapping) for a large
portion of the continent; the US and many other states do not recognize
these territorial claims and have made no claims themselves (the US and
Russia reserve the right to do so); no claims have been made in the
sector between 90 degrees west and 150 degrees west; several states with
territorial claims in Antarctica have expressed their intention to
submit data to the UN Commission on the Limits of the Continental Shelf
to extend their continental shelf claims to adjoining undersea ridges."

So, the US doesn't currently claim any land in .aq, but reserves the
right to change its mind at some future point.
Keith F. Lynch
2005-11-23 03:30:12 UTC
Post by Daniel Silevitch
And we lease Gitmo from the Cubans, and don't actually own it.
That's sophistry. Castro has long since said the base isn't welcome
there. The US continues to send him a small rent check, which he
refuses to cash.

It's partly an excuse for not giving prisoners or refugees there the
rights they would have on US soil.
Post by Daniel Silevitch
[1] Googling to confirm this, I discovered on the CIA factbook page,
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ay.html , that
Antartica does have it's own internet country code, .aq.
I want to know why there's no country code for the high seas,
or for space.
Post by Daniel Silevitch
"Antarctic Treaty freezes claims (see Antarctic Treaty Summary in
Government type entry); Argentina, Australia, Chile, France, NZ,
Norway, and UK claim land and maritime sectors (some overlapping)
for a large portion of the continent; the US and many other states
do not recognize these territorial claims and have made no claims
themselves (the US and Russia reserve the right to do so); no claims
have been made in the sector between 90 degrees west and 150 degrees
west; several states with territorial claims in Antarctica have
expressed their intention to submit data to the UN Commission on the
Limits of the Continental Shelf to extend their continental shelf
claims to adjoining undersea ridges."
I could have sworn I've seen a map showing US and Soviet claims.
The US claim included the peninsula. Many of the various claims
overlapped. And yes, they were all wedge-shaped, coverging on the
pole. Some of them overlapped.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Daniel Silevitch
2005-11-23 03:43:43 UTC
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Post by Daniel Silevitch
And we lease Gitmo from the Cubans, and don't actually own it.
That's sophistry. Castro has long since said the base isn't welcome
there. The US continues to send him a small rent check, which he
refuses to cash.
The lease predates Castro, as does the base. The (perpetual) lease was
granted a few years after the Spanish-American war. According to
Wikipedia, Castro did cash one rent check ($2000/year), which in the
eyes of the US government was enough to reratify the lease terms.
Post by Keith F. Lynch
It's partly an excuse for not giving prisoners or refugees there the
rights they would have on US soil.
See above.

[Antarctica]
Post by Keith F. Lynch
I could have sworn I've seen a map showing US and Soviet claims.
The US claim included the peninsula. Many of the various claims
overlapped. And yes, they were all wedge-shaped, coverging on the
pole. Some of them overlapped.
There's a nice article, including a bunch of maps, on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica_territories

Some highlights:

The Argentine, British, and Chilean claims all overlap; the Argentine
claim is completely covered by either the British, the Chilean, or both.

The Norweigans have the only territorial claim that _doesn't_ extend to
the pole; looking at the map, it's more of a truncated wedge.

The Australian claim is discontinuous (except for a point at the Pole);
there's a sliver of French-claimed territory in between two chunks of
Australian-claim. The Australian claim is also the largest; it looks to
be about 120 degrees of longitude or thereabouts.

-dms
Joe Ellis
2005-11-23 04:02:42 UTC
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Post by Daniel Silevitch
And we lease Gitmo from the Cubans, and don't actually own it.
That's sophistry. Castro has long since said the base isn't welcome
there. The US continues to send him a small rent check, which he
refuses to cash.
It's partly an excuse for not giving prisoners or refugees there the
rights they would have on US soil.
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/guantanamo-bay.htm

We REALLY need to have an investigation into this... If what Keith
claims is true, then it is clear that we need to find out what the
Roosevelt administration knew about 9/11 and when they knew it.

...that's the _THEODORE_ Roosevelt administration...

That's quite a feat of precognition... determining the need for the
facility before the airplane was even invented! Better notify James
Randi and claim the million dollars.

Yeah, I suspect I know what you _meant_, Keith - but your wording was
VERY sloppy.
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Post by Daniel Silevitch
[1] Googling to confirm this, I discovered on the CIA factbook page,
http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ay.html , that
Antartica does have it's own internet country code, .aq.
I want to know why there's no country code for the high seas,
or for space.
Well, if you can show a NEED for a country code for either...
http://www.gdargaud.net/Antarctica/InfoAntarctica.html

Trivigoogle.
Zev Sero
2005-11-23 04:53:25 UTC
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Post by Daniel Silevitch
And we lease Gitmo from the Cubans, and don't actually own it.
That's sophistry. Castro has long since said the base isn't welcome
there. The US continues to send him a small rent check, which he
refuses to cash.
Doesn't matter. It's a perpetual lease, signed by a Cuban government
that was certainly no less legitimate than Castro's. If Castro doesn't
want the money, fine. It doesn't cancel the lease.
--
Zev Sero Security and liberty are like beer and TV. They go
***@sero.name well together, but are completely different concepts.
- James Lileks
neils
2005-11-23 05:04:22 UTC
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Post by Keith Thompson
Um question. Doesn't America have 51 states and 3 protectorates?
Not that I recall. Could you name all of them? (I can name all the
states of Australia, so why shouldn't an Australian be able to name
all the states of the US?)
Thats a huge challenge, we only have six states!!

Give me a list and I could probably tell you which are not states but I
couldnt name all 50 off the top of my head
Post by Keith F. Lynch
Post by Keith Thompson
The District of Columbia (entirely occupied by Washington, D.C.)
isn't a state either.
Right. If I recall correctly, Australia also has its capital in a
district that isn't part of a state.
Yes its the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) better known as Canberra. Our
mainland territories do have representation at all levels of government. The
Northern Territory is now self governed but has declared it will remain as a
territory so it is not financially responsible for education, health and a
few other departments- very smart thinking.

Our off mainland territories have varying rights. All must vote (its
compulsory for all Australians), are not independently represented, but also
don't have some of the taxes and other down sides. Most are self governed

As for Antarctica, we do consider ourselves to have definite territories
there as we have basis that are manned all year round.( Pity dogs are now
banned. Whose bright idea was it that petroleum based vehicles were more
environmentally friendly than dog power?) And yes those guys have to vote
too 8)

The fun thing is the international tourist and those residing overseas, you
still have to find an Australian Embassy and vote 8P
Robert A. Woodward
2005-11-23 05:16:40 UTC
Post by Amethyst
It seems as if 39 states have lotteries. Below is a link to a page that
links to the 39 lotteries. Your challenge, if you choose to accept it,
is to look at this page and write down the names of the 11 states that
do not have lotteries, without using outside help. Just your memory. I
must sadly admit it took me about half an hour, but that was probably a
prolonged senior citizen moment.
Enjoy
About 6 minutes (I got six states within a minute, but I had to go
through the list (which I had memorized by location, not
alphabetically) to get the other 5 (I can name about 45 state
capitals reliably as well).
--
Robert Woodward <***@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw>
David Goldfarb
2005-11-23 07:39:48 UTC
I got the first 9 in about 3 minutes -- looked right at the start of
the list and noticed that Alaska wasn't in the A's; went on through
some others, then thought "Utah ought not to be there" and indeed it
wasn't, so I checked Nevada next since they're right next to each other
and was a bit surprised to find it not on the list either. I guess
the Nevadans think it would be redundant. It then took me about two
minutes to remember Hawaii, and for some reason Arkansas eluded me
for two and a half minutes beyond that. Total time, 7 minutes, 20 seconds.
--
David Goldfarb |"Steppe nomads are a lot less frightening since
***@ocf.berkeley.edu | tanks were invented."