Discussion:
Google Groups outage.
(too old to reply)
Cryptoengineer
2011-06-27 23:54:57 UTC
Permalink
This should amuse Keith, if someone replies to me. :-)

Google Groups hasn't updated its usenet articles since Saturday. Curiously,
you can still post, you just can't see what you posted.

It says something about this group that this goes almost unnoticed. I've
seen other groups where surveys showed that 80%+ of posting were via GG.
But not here.

pt
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2011-06-28 16:39:45 UTC
Permalink
Cryptoengineer <***@gmail.com> wrote in
news:***@216.196.97.131:

> This should amuse Keith, if someone replies to me. :-)
>
> Google Groups hasn't updated its usenet articles since Saturday.
> Curiously, you can still post, you just can't see what you
> posted.
>
> It says something about this group that this goes almost
> unnoticed. I've seen other groups where surveys showed that 80%+
> of posting were via GG. But not here.
>
I killfiled everything from GG a long time ago. It' 99.99% spam
anyway, and Google actively encourages it.

--
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Cryptoengineer
2011-06-29 01:22:07 UTC
Permalink
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <***@gmail.com> wrote in
news:***@69.16.186.7:

> Cryptoengineer <***@gmail.com> wrote in
> news:***@216.196.97.131:
>
>> This should amuse Keith, if someone replies to me. :-)
>>
>> Google Groups hasn't updated its usenet articles since Saturday.
>> Curiously, you can still post, you just can't see what you
>> posted.
>>
>> It says something about this group that this goes almost
>> unnoticed. I've seen other groups where surveys showed that 80%+
>> of posting were via GG. But not here.
>>
> I killfiled everything from GG a long time ago. It' 99.99% spam
> anyway, and Google actively encourages it.

Actually, rasff gets very little spam in GG; rasfw a bit more. It seems to
vary randomly for the text groups.

What bugs me is that without GG, the already slim trickle of new blood into
Usenet will probably cease altogether.

pt
Howard S Shubs
2011-06-29 06:13:43 UTC
Permalink
In article <***@216.196.97.131>,
Cryptoengineer <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> What bugs me is that without GG, the already slim trickle of new blood into
> Usenet will probably cease altogether.

Good. End September 1993 already.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
Keith F. Lynch
2011-06-30 01:00:23 UTC
Permalink
Howard S Shubs <***@shubs.net> wrote:
> Cryptoengineer <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What bugs me is that without GG, the already slim trickle of new
>> blood into Usenet will probably cease altogether.

> Good. End September 1993 already.

Do you feel the same way about convention fandom? Fanzine fandom?
That it's a good thing if few or no new people ever show up?
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.
Howard S Shubs
2011-06-30 05:07:31 UTC
Permalink
In article <iughr7$6p6$***@reader1.panix.com>,
"Keith F. Lynch" <***@KeithLynch.net> wrote:

> Do you feel the same way about convention fandom? Fanzine fandom?
> That it's a good thing if few or no new people ever show up?

I'm afraid you can't stampede me like that. I want the lightweights off
USENET. It won't happen, unfortunately. Call me an elitist if you
like, I admit it.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2011-06-30 17:14:18 UTC
Permalink
Howard S Shubs <***@shubs.net> wrote in
news:howard-***@news.giganews.com:

> In article <iughr7$6p6$***@reader1.panix.com>,
> "Keith F. Lynch" <***@KeithLynch.net> wrote:
>
>> Do you feel the same way about convention fandom? Fanzine
>> fandom? That it's a good thing if few or no new people ever
>> show up?
>
> I'm afraid you can't stampede me like that. I want the
> lightweights off USENET. It won't happen, unfortunately. Call
> me an elitist if you like, I admit it.
>
I can think of other words that seem to fit better.

--
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Howard S Shubs
2011-07-01 02:13:25 UTC
Permalink
In article <***@69.16.186.7>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can think of other words that seem to fit better.

Whatever floats your boat. USENET was better when it was limited to
people who had positions in high tech companies and college students.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
Nels E. Satterlund
2011-07-01 03:54:03 UTC
Permalink
On 6/30/2011 7:13 PM, Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article<***@69.16.186.7>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy<***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can think of other words that seem to fit better.
>
> Whatever floats your boat. USENET was better when it was limited to
> people who had positions in high tech companies and college students.
>

Ah but I work in one of the highest tech company ... and they dropped
Usenet several years ago.

Nels
Well there is still an active internal group ... that most at the
company know nothing about.


--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company
***@Starstream.net <-- Use this address please,
My Lurkers motto: I read much better than I type.
Keith F. Lynch
2011-07-02 01:07:47 UTC
Permalink
Nels E. Satterlund <***@Starstream.net> wrote:
> Howard S Shubs wrote:
>> USENET was better when it was limited to people who had positions
>> in high tech companies and college students.

> Ah but I work in one of the highest tech company ... and they
> dropped Usenet several years ago.

I worked for a high-tech company when I first got on Usenet. But I
didn't get on through that company. I've never gotten my primary
ARPAnet, Internet, or Usenet access through work.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.
Howard S Shubs
2011-07-02 17:48:29 UTC
Permalink
In article <iujjfd$fqe$***@tornado.tornevall.net>,
"Nels E. Satterlund" <***@Starstream.net> wrote:

> Ah but I work in one of the highest tech company ... and they dropped
> Usenet several years ago.

What's that got to do with my statement?

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
Nels E. Satterlund
2011-07-03 05:01:18 UTC
Permalink
On 7/2/2011 10:48 AM, Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article<iujjfd$fqe$***@tornado.tornevall.net>,
> "Nels E. Satterlund"<***@Starstream.net> wrote:
>
>> Ah but I work in one of the highest tech company ... and they dropped
>> Usenet several years ago.
>
> What's that got to do with my statement?
>
I don't know, you have trimmed so much I can't tell.

Nels
--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company
***@Starstream.net <-- Use this address please,
My Lurkers motto: I read much better than I type.
Keith F. Lynch
2011-07-04 02:36:09 UTC
Permalink
Nels E. Satterlund <***@Starstream.net> wrote:
> Howard S Shubs wrote:
>> "Nels E. Satterlund" <***@Starstream.net> wrote:
>>> Ah but I work in one of the highest tech company ... and they
>>> dropped Usenet several years ago.

>> What's that got to do with my statement?

> I don't know, you have trimmed so much I can't tell.

The purpose of quoting is to establish context, not to repeat the
whole conversation for the benefit of those few who can neither
remember what was said a day or two ago nor easily look back at the
previous messages in the thread. What do you think the References
header line is for, anyway?
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.
Nels E. Satterlund
2011-07-04 04:59:54 UTC
Permalink
On 7/3/2011 7:36 PM, Keith F. Lynch wrote:
> Nels E. Satterlund<***@Starstream.net> wrote:
>> Howard S Shubs wrote:
>>> "Nels E. Satterlund"<***@Starstream.net> wrote:
>>>> Ah but I work in one of the highest tech company ... and they
>>>> dropped Usenet several years ago.
>
>>> What's that got to do with my statement?
>
>> I don't know, you have trimmed so much I can't tell.
>
> The purpose of quoting is to establish context, not to repeat the
> whole conversation for the benefit of those few who can neither
> remember what was said a day or two ago nor easily look back at the
> previous messages in the thread. What do you think the References
> header line is for, anyway?

Many disagree, in this case all context has been lost.

Nels

--
Nels E Satterlund I don't speak for the company
***@Starstream.net <-- Use this address please,
My Lurkers motto: I read much better than I type.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2011-07-01 17:14:30 UTC
Permalink
Howard S Shubs <***@shubs.net> wrote in
news:howard-***@news.giganews.com:

> In article <***@69.16.186.7>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I can think of other words that seem to fit better.
>
> Whatever floats your boat. USENET was better when it was
> limited to people who had positions in high tech companies and
> college students.
>
For values of "better" that normal people would point and laugh at,
perhaps.

--
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
Howard S Shubs
2011-07-02 17:49:00 UTC
Permalink
In article <***@69.16.186.7>,
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> For values of "better" that normal people would point and laugh at,
> perhaps.

And I wouldn't care.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2011-07-05 18:23:52 UTC
Permalink
Howard S Shubs <***@shubs.net> wrote in
news:howard-***@news.giganews.com:

> In article <***@69.16.186.7>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For values of "better" that normal people would point and laugh
>> at, perhaps.
>
> And I wouldn't care.
>
And neither would anyone else.

Is there a reason you bother to actually post to usenet? Do you get
sexual pleasure from the sound of the keyboard clicking or something?

--
Terry Austin

"Terry Austin: like the polio vaccine, only with more asshole."
-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.
mike weber
2011-07-06 01:03:54 UTC
Permalink
On Sat, 02 Jul 2011 11:49:00 -0600, Howard S Shubs <***@shubs.net>
wrote:

>In article <***@69.16.186.7>,
> Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For values of "better" that normal people would point and laugh at,
>> perhaps.
>
>And I wouldn't care.

For values of "normal" that would qualify as barely sub-clinical (or
perhaps not "sub").
Keith F. Lynch
2011-07-07 01:48:01 UTC
Permalink
mike weber <***@gmail.com> wrote:
> For values of "normal" that would qualify as barely sub-clinical (or
> perhaps not "sub").

Please don't feed the troll.
--
Keith F. Lynch - http://keithlynch.net/
Please see http://keithlynch.net/email.html before emailing me.
Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy
2011-07-07 16:37:50 UTC